Are you looking to dive deeper into ClimateActionWR reports and initiatives? Or, do you want to learn about how you can help to reduce our community’s greenhouse gas emissions? We’ve compiled a list of useful resources to help get you started!
These resources are intended to support members of Waterloo Region in taking action to reduce our community’s carbon footprint. Many of these resources are specific to our community, with the aim of making it easier than ever to reduce Waterloo Region’s greenhouse gas emissions as a community.
If you want to learn about Waterloo Region’s five emitting sectors and some of the local initiatives working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions within each sector, head over to our Greenhouse Gas Emissions Breakdown page for more information.
Resources By Sector:
Click the links below to jump to a specific sector’s resources:
- ClimateActionWR Resources – links to all ClimateActionWR resources, including reports, progress updates, and more.
- Community Resources – resources about other activities related to climate action within our community.
- Transportation Resources – resources related to our community’s largest emitting sector.
- Workplace Resources – reduce carbon emissions in your workplace using these helpful resources.
- Residential Resources – learn about how to reduce your homes’ carbon footprint using these resources.
- Agricultural Resources – information about the carbon emissions of agricultural activities and how we can mitigate the effects.
- Waste Resources – learning how to minimize, and properly dispose of your waste can help to reduce our community’s emissions.
Know of a great resource that you don’t see on this list? Let us know! Send us an email to email@example.com.
- TransformWR Waterloo Region’s Transition to an Equitable, Prosperous, Resilient Low Carbon Community (2021)
- TransformWR Supporting Document: Community Engagement Report by Unless Design Partners (2021)
- TransformWR Supporting Document: Technical Engagement Report by WalterFedy (2021)
- TransformWR Supporting Document: Technical Pathway Report by WalterFedy (2021)
- TransformWR Supporting Document: Sustainability Justice Guide (Coming Soon!)
- TransformWR Supporting Document: Decision Making Framework (Coming Soon!)
- Community Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Forecast Report for Waterloo Region (2012)
- Climate Action Plan for Waterloo Region (2013) – Summary
- Climate Action Plan for Waterloo Region (2013) – Full
- Our Progress, Our Path: An Update on Waterloo Region’s Community Carbon Footprint (2017)
- Our Progress, Our Path (Appendix A): Implementation Overview (2017)
- Our Latest Greenhouse Gas Emissions Breakdown
- Active Transportation Hubs Research Report (2021)
- Aerial Thermal Imaging and Building Energy Efficiency Upgrade in Waterloo Region: A Sustainable Buildings Pilot Project (2021)
- Transformative Climate Futures Summary – What could 2072 look like? A 2021 study brought together people from Waterloo Region to imagine sustainable futures emerging from the COVID-19 pandemic. Read their stories and see their art here in this workshop summary.
- Community Climate Adaptation Plan – While ClimateActionWR works on climate change mitigation, others in our community have been working on adaptation.
- Carsharing – Community CarShare, which has recently joined VRTUCAR, offers an affordable and hassle-free alternative to owning a car.
- Electric Vehicle Incentives – Find out about the Federal and Provincial incentives available for new and used electric vehicles
- GRT EasyGo Fare Card -The EasyGO fare card is a reusable plastic smart card used for paying fares on Grand River Transit’s family of services (including ION light rail).
- GRT Fares & Passes – Grand River Transit offers a variety of fares and passes.
- GRT Trip Planner – Get where you need to go using GRT’s EasyGo Trip Planner!
- TravelWise – TravelWise provides organizations with tools and services to reduce the number of employees driving alone to work.
- Commercial Heat Pump Contractors List– A list of commercial heat pump contractors that service Waterloo Region, intended as a starting point for your own research and planning for your commercial building’s retrofits.
- Living Planet @ Work – Living Planet @ Work is WWF-Canada’s workplace engagement platform that offers free resources and ideas to help you to lead sustainable initiatives at work.
- Impact Network – The Impact Network program helps organizations transform their sustainability interests and ambitions into actions and results.
- Save On Energy – Our local electricity distributors – Energy+, Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro and Waterloo North Hydro, along with Union Gas and Kitchener Utilities – have many incentives and programs in place to help local businesses conserve energy and use energy efficiently.
- Now Trending: Installing Heat Pumps in Your Home – A case study highlighting a local homeowner’s journey & lessons learned when making the switch from gas heating to a heat pump for their home.
- Homeowner’s Guide to Heat Pumps for Comfort and Climate– An introduction to heat pumps, and why you should look into investing in one to upgrade your home.
- Heat Pump Contractors List– A list of heat pump contractors that service Waterloo Region, intended as a starting point for your own research and planning for your home’s retrofits.
- Heat Pump Water Heaters for your Home – Recording of webinar featuring local expert Joseph Tanel, that explores what heat pump water heaters are, how they work, and lived experiences.
- Heat Pumps for Home Heating & Cooling – Recording of webinar featuring local expert Jeff Hunter, that provides an introduction to heat humps for residential space heating and cooling.
- EnerGuide Home Evaluations – EnerGuide is a home evaluation service designed to increase energy efficiency and comfort for homeowners. Reep Green Solutions offers a home energy coach who can help you understand the options for saving energy at home.
- Grants, Rebates, Credits, and Incentives for your home – A handy list of incentives and other opportunities available to homeowners to improve the efficiency of their home and save money.
- Project Neutral – Brought to you by Reep Green Solutions, Project Neutral is a carbon calculating, community-focused, climate action tool which allows you to calculate your personal carbon footprint.
- Heat Pumps 101: How the Public Can Fight Climate Change – An introduction to electric heat pumps, and how they can help us meet our community climate action goals.
- Reep Home Energy 101 Series – Interested in making your home more energy efficient? Here’s an informal course to guide you through the process for making your home more comfortable and stop wasting energy.
- Water Efficient Technology (WET) – The Regional Municipality of Waterloo offers local homeowners water audits for free. Delivered by Reep Green Solutions, residents can have simple water-saving technologies installed at the same time as the water audit.
- Canadian Organic Growers (COG) – COG is Canada’s national organic farmer and consumer association, and is a registered charity. COG offers training and resources to raise awareness about organics and assist farmers and gardeners in adopting sustainable and commercially viable, organic production methods.
- National Farmers Union (NFU) Campaign: Climate Change – The NFU is keenly interested in being a leader in the transition to a carbon-neutral economy, and is working across Canada to identify ways to reduce farm and food system greenhouse gas emissions. Visit this campaign page to learn more about their Climate Change campaign.
- Tackling the Farm Crisis and the Climate Crisis: A Transformative Strategy for Canadian Farms and Food Systems – This discussion report, developed in collaboration with the NFU, discusses the factors driving both the climate and the farming crisis, and presents opportunities for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture.
- How to sort your waste – This infographic, developed by The Region of Waterloo, shows you how to sort your waste properly.
- Waste Whiz – Unsure where or how to dispose of your waste? This resource determines waste services for residents living in single and semi-detached homes in Waterloo Region.
- Zero Waste Waterloo Region – This public Facebook group is run by Reep Green Solutions as part of their waste reduction initiatives. Join the page and learn about reducing waste and working towards living a zero waste lifestyle. It is a space to ask questions and help each other.
- Zero Waste 101 – Reep Green Solutions has a variety of resources to support their annual Zero Waste Challenge, including blog posts and a handy list of local organizations that help you to reduce or dispose of your waste properly.
- Community Fridge – Waterloo Region’s first community fridge is a non-for-profit fridge consisting of fresh, donated foods that anyone can take from for FREE. It is designed to reduce food waste while also helping those who struggle to access fresh foods. Details and location in the link.
- Reusable Takeout Containers – There are two companies offering reusable takeout container programs in the Waterloo Region, Ekko and A Friendlier Company have both partnered with local retailers and restaurants to help reduce food container waste.
- Zero Waste Lunch Ideas – a blog post from ClimateActionWR about vegetarian zero waste lunch action ideas.
Get our Monthly Community Action Report
Stay up to date on progress towards our goal