ClimateActionWR’s Nine Questions for This Municipal Election
October 6th, 2022
The 2022 municipal election is quickly approaching! Verify your eligibility to vote, check advance polling dates/locations and election day information on the Region of Waterloo Elections website.
All eight municipalities in Waterloo Region endorsed the TransformWR strategy, making it the official climate action plan for these governments. If we hope to meet the target of an 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, it is crucial that incoming candidates act on the recommendations of the plan.
Here are nine questions that you can ask candidates at the door or at local debates:
1. How will you ensure that the TransformWR strategy remains a priority of the incoming council and builds momentum throughout the community?
2. How will you advocate to the provincial and federal governments in support of our long-term community climate action plan?
3. How will you support the protection of agricultural land and our local agricultural systems?
4. What will you do to make home energy efficiency upgrades accessible and affordable for all?
5. How will you support using active transportation for trips currently taken by car?
6. What steps will you take to make sure our (Region/City/School board) wastes less and no longer disposes of organics in the landfill?
7. How will you support local electricity generation from carbon neutral, renewable sources?
8. TransformWR promises that in the next three years, fuel oil and propane will be eliminated as heating sources for buildings. What steps will you take to make sure that happens?
9. What steps will you take to support the industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sector’s transition to more energy efficient operations?